Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

"BOYS AND BOWS".


Tracks in the blow-sand are the only signs of the animals passing. The hunter moves cautiously through the surrounding greasewood and sagebrush along the bottom of the wash. For thousands of years hunters have stalked dangerous game on these lands, and this hunter is no exception. The claws of the beast have dug deep into the sand and from the track the experienced hunter can tell this is the biggest bear ever to walk this great earth. He can smell the pungent odor of the beast as he closes the distance to a mere ten arrow lengths. Suddenly the bear turns to face his foe, raising onto his hind legs the bruin towers above his adversary, with nerves of steel the hunter draws his bow and sends an arrow into the bear's chest. The bear drops onto all fours and charges the hunter as he shoots arrow after arrow into the huge beast.. finally with all his arrows spent, the hunter leaps onto the bears back and begins stabbing the beast with his mammoth bone knife.... ....."Josiah get off those hay bales and come in for supper"...his mom calls. "And don't forget to put your bow and arrows away"...

"Coming mom",the hunter replies. He glances back at the target, which has somehow taken on the form of a giant armor plated dragon. He has no fear of the beast, they have battled before and so far the hunter has always triumphed.."Tomorrow ,"he whispers to the fire breathing foe ..."Tomorrow ." ...


I recall my days as a youth, loosing arrows at imaginary beasts and enjoying the thrill of these made up adventures.. Watching my own children enjoy these same things.. makes me laugh, yet at the same time I realize they are sharpening their skills as hunters, through this practice and play.. and I admit sometimes when I think no one is watching, my targets take on a life of their own and I am once again a kid.... stalking elusive beasts across unknown lands... Hawk a/ho

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story, I can just see your little boy with his BIG imagination! How precious..

Anonymous said...

You must be so proud of your boys. What wonderful stories, you have a gift with words.

Anonymous said...

Good job, I'm proud of you
tell the boys hi.
Broken Hand a/ho

Anonymous said...

Great work, Hawk. I too, am proud of you. In more ways than you know!
Aunt Pam